Canon’s Controversial 24-70mm f/4 Lens Now Available
Whether you were excited for this lens or not, the Canon 24-70mm f/4 IS L lens from Canon is available now. I was rather baffled when I heard the news of its release last November, and I’m still scratching my head at this one. It just seemed like a money grab to me. Nevertheless, if you want it, you can pick it up starting today.
Canon’s new 24-70mm can be yours for a cool $1,500 which is considerably less than it’s f/2.8 older brother. We’ll have to test it in our studios before we can say anything for or against this lens, but if you’re a fan of early adoption the price isn’t too inhibiting.
- Aperture Range: f/4.0-22
- Hybrid Image Stabilization (IS)
- Dual UD & Super UD Lens Elements
- Dual Aspherical Lens Elements
- Ring-Type Ultra Sonic Motor (USM)
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 1.25′
- Macro Mode With 0.7x Magnification
- Weather Resistant to Dust & Moisture
- Fluorine Coatings Reduce Fingerprints
- Zoom Lock Lever
My personal opinion is that this will be the new kit lens with the anticipated 7D MKII. Where that leaves the 24-105mm f/4 or any updates to that lens in the future, only time will tell.