Last night Nikon announced two new products, the Nikon SB-300 AF Speedlight and the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens. The SB-300 is a smaller strobe designed for on-camera flash with i-TTL support. It has a guide number of 59' at ISO 100 and is compatible with DX and FX sensors with coverage from 27mm-200mm on a FX-format camera. The 18-140mm is a kind of all-in-one zoom lens is compatible with DX format cameras and is aimed at photographers looking for one lens solution.
Designed to be compact, it works well on smaller cameras. And with a weight of only 3.4 ounces, it will not add much to your camera kit. The use of two AAA batteries contributes to this by not requiring the use of AA batteries used in larger flashes. It also comes with the Nikon SS-DC1 Soft Case for storage.
- Zoom flash head provides wide-angle coverage from 18mm in DX-format cameras or 27mm in FX-format
- Recycling time of 4 seconds with alkaline batteries, or only 3.5 seconds with Ni-MH batteries
- At least 70 flashes with alkaline batteries, or 110 flashes with Ni-MH batteries
- Flash-ready light will alert you when flash is ready to fire
- Foot lock lever for secure mounting to the camera
Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) autofocus mechanism provides near-silent auto focusing that is both fast and accurate. Combined with Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization, the SWM AF system equips the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm for handheld video recording as well as fast-action photography. Additionally, manual autofocus override allows instant switching to manual focus without taking your eye off the subject of interest. A 1.48 ft minimum focus distance and f/3.5 maximum aperture permit macro-style shooting that yields shallow depth of field with pleasant out-of-focus detail.
- Compatible with DX-sized image sensors.
- Versatile 18-140mm zoom range (27-210mm equivalent) covers close-ups, portraiture, and telephoto imaging.
- Vibration Reduction can provide up to 4-stops of image stabilization for sharper handheld photos and video.
- One aspherical and one ED lens element reduce chromatic aberration and help improve image sharpness, clarity, field flatness.
- The Nikon Super Integrated Coated lens system enhances light transmission and reduces lens flare.
- The Silent Wave Motor autofocus mechanism provides quick, quiet and precise auto focusing.
- Manual focus override allows instant switching between AF and MF focusing systems for greater control of focus placement.