Photojournalist Launches iPhone Watermarking App
Photojournalist John D McHugh was so fed up with copyright infringement on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram that he has taken drastic measures and built an iPhone app called Marksta specifically to add watermarks to images uploaded to social networks. Apparently he was really tired of people stealing his images without credit, and came up with a solution that helps him and other photogs who feel the same.
McHugh partnered with app developers to streamline the process of adding watermarks to images. He says he realizes that he could just use his laptop and add watermarks in Photoshop, but that takes more time than he is willing to invest in just sharing images. He also says that Photoshop, being an expensive piece of software, is just not something that his “wife and friends” can’t use. He says that though some developers have already done this on other apps “you can tell these applications have been created by developers, not photographers.”
As far as what you want the watermark to read, whatever you want to write, Marksta promises to make it simple and fast.
- Add multiple lines of text to your photos, including ©, @, and #
- Add an image or company logo to your photographs
- Adjust size and position using gesture control
- Adjust font, colour, and opacity
- Add a customizable border
- Reverse your text in a box to improve visibility
- Add parallel lines or crossing lines to your text to increase protection
- Justify text depending on placement
- View all changes on screen in real time
- Save multiple templates to improve workflow and speed
- Non-destructive editing; Marksta will save new versions of your edit but always preserves the original image
- Share directly to Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr or send to Instagram, Camera+ and more, or email directly from inside the app
- Customizable output size presets
- Information button on each page guides you through the many advanced features of Marksta
Reasons to use Marksta
- Add copyright information to your photographs directly from your iPhone before sharing online
- Protect your images from misuse and theft
- Ensure acknowledgement of your creative work
- Safeguard your photos from being designated “orphan works”
Marksta will eventually cost about $2 for the download. For now, grab the app for free from the Apple App Store.
What do you all think? Is this something you are interested in using? Do you think it will reduce theft? Let us know in the comments below.