UPDATE: We currently have a new large shipment that is being fulfilled through Amazon
After 6 years, a 2 year patent process, and nearly 18 months of designing proto types, the Fstoppers Flash Disc has finally become a reality. Our home made versions of the Flash Disc have been in our bags for almost our entire careers, and we are excited to finally release this flash modifier out to the general public!
The Flash Disc (patented) is a simple but extremely versatile light modifier for small speedlights. Lee Morris's original idea was to have a small portable softbox on him at all times during his weddings. What makes the Flash Disc so useful is it literally folds up like a reflector and can fit into your pocket, jacket, roller bag, or backpack. The unique design allows your portable flash to "bounce" up and fill the entire circular chamber crating a quality of light that is much softer than your speedlight's small opening.
Unlike traditional softboxes, the Flash Disc is very portable and has an extremely small profile. This makes it easy to move through large crowds like you would find at an event or a wedding. Long gone are the days of raising bulky softboxes over people's heads or accidentally bumping your umbrella on a light stand into guests at a wedding. The Flash Disc can easily be held by your side and takes up about as much space as a hardcover book.
Here are some of the situations in which we have found the Flash Disc to work best:
- Great for small product shots where large softboxes are often overkill
- Perfect for impromptu group shots when you want soft directional light
- Nice when you want your key light softer than a barebulb speedlight but more contrasty than a huge softbox
- A fast and easy solution for detail shots such as rings, cakes, shoes, jewelry
- Easily isolates small areas for light painting (ala Mike Kelley's technique)
- Convenient for packing in your travel bag when you don't know what photo shoots await
- Reliable in windy environments where traditional softboxes and umbrellas often fail
- Extremely useful during fast paced subjects like children or toddlers.
and most importantly,
- Invaluable when shooting by yourself and you need to hold your own off camera lighting in your left hand!
Exclusively Available Through Fstoppers
When we first designed the Flash Disc years ago, we never intended on mass producing it and offering it to other photographers. It was simply a clever solution to a common problem we often faced. After selling out of our first batch of 1,000 in a mere 48 hour period, we are excited to announce a much larger batch of what we are calling Flash Disc V2. We find it useful having a bunch of these small softboxes laying around the studio and in our camera bags and I'm sure you will fall in love with this simple pocket sized light modifier as much as we have.
If you really want the product right now and you don't live in the USA, I highly suggest the website www.myus.com. You can ship the product from Amazon to them, and they will ship it to you anywhere in the world. You can also order from BH Photo directly and they will ship anywhere in the world.
Now available in Singapore!
Our good friend Michael Chaint with ArtWorkFoto is currently shipping and selling the FlashDisc at his photography store in the Funan Digital Mall. You can check them out in his store or order them online here.
Videos of FlashDisc In Use
How to Fold a Reflector (until we make our own video)