Worldwide Photowalk is This Weekend! Are You Going?
This weekend is the Worldwide Annual Photowalk, the largest photography event on record. This will be the sixth year for the event and the best part about it is that it’s entirely free. The photowalk, which will take place on October 5th, is an amazing way to meet local photographers in your area, spend a couple hours shooting around town with them and make great friends.
I have had the opportunity to participate in photo walks for the last 4 years and have loved it every year. Here’s how it works. Head over to the Worldwide Photowalk page and find a walk in your area. They currently have 1228 walks throughout the world and over 25,000 photographers registered to participate. Once you find a walk that works for you, register yourself and sign up for the walk. As I mentioned the walks are free. Once you have done that, all you need to do is show up and be ready to have some fun shooting and meeting new friends.
Here’s a photo from our Phoenix, Arizona walk last year. We had a ton of fun together.
Here are a couple tips from my previous experiences.
- Get there early. Sometimes parking can be tough and once the walkers have gathered they will start walking around and it might just be tough to find them.
- Wear sunblock. You will be in the sun for a couple hours.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring some money with you to grab a bite to eat afterwards.
- Take some extra business cards in case anyone asks.
- Don’t try to sell yourself to everyone there, just enjoy making friends and getting to know others.
- Get a group photo.
Here is a video put together by the walks organizer Scott Kelby that describes a little more about the walks.
Get out and make some new friends this weekend!