Everyone's favorite point of view action camera is about to get even better. According to a post on the GoPro website, firmware updates are coming for the HERO4 camera lineup that will add features and capabilities users have been requesting for some time.
The big new feature on the list below is the addition of 240 frames per second to the HERO4 Black. It's regrettably only at 1280x720 resolution, but for high-speed events, this will still be much used option by action shooters. They have also added a 60 frames per second option while shooting at 2.7K (2704×1528) again for the HERO4 Black.
The HERO4 Black GoPros are currently $500 at B&H, and every indicator points to this firmware update being available to all current and future owners. It will be released sometime in February.
Here is the the complete list of updates, taken from the GoPro news page:
HERO4 Black and HERO4 Silver
- Time lapse video mode - Capture Time Lapse videos automatically—no post-production needed. Showcase a sunrise, road trip or family gathering as a short, sharable video.
- 30/6 burst photo - Introducing a new way to never miss a moment. Capture 30 photos in 6 seconds—perfect for longer duration fast-action activities like surfing and snowboarding.
- Auto rotate - Automatically adjusts capture orientation to right-side up when the camera is mounted upside down.
- 720p240 fps video - Record ultra high frame rate video at a staggering 240 frames per second for liquid smooth slow-motion playback
- 2.7K60 fps video - Capture cinematic, high-resolution 2.7K footage at an impressive 60 frames per second
- Add HiLight Tags during playback - Now you can mark key moments both while recording video and playing back content on the built-in touch display to quickly find highlights for easy editing and sharing.
If you're on the fence about buying a GoPro, just look at this video below.