It looks like there’s a “new” kid on the block, and it happens to be our old friend Polaroid (Or is it "old guy on the new block," or "new old kid on the old new block," or something else entirely? I don't know...). There are a number of instant-print cameras on the market, but to me, they’re all missing at least one of two things: the brand recognition of the Polaroid name and the classic form factor of the camera that made it famous decades ago. The Fujifilm Instax camera is missing both. Even the current Polaroid offerings, such as the Polaroid Snap or the PIC-300, probably don’t have what it takes to rule the market. So, here it is. The Polaroid OneStep 2.Cool, right? I think so.
According to finegrain.es, Polaroid is due to release a new version of the historic OneStep camera. It has the name. It has the form factor. It has actual Polaroid-sized prints instead of the tiny things you get with other cameras. What’s not to like?
From the released specs, it looks like the camera will have a (rechargeable?) lithium ion battery and be able to use at least a couple of different kinds of film — the classic 600 in color and black and white, and a new film called I-Type, to be marketed under the brand name The Impossible Project. Throw a vintage strap on there, and you'll be more hip than you can handle.
There’s no information on price just yet, but Polaroid is due to release a roadmap with more details soon.
Edit: $99.99, and you can grab one here.
- One-Step Easy-to-Use Photography
- High-quality Polaroid photo lens better than ever 0.6m to infinity
- Battery life 60 days
- A powerful built-in flash to illuminate all images
- Self-timer so you can appear in the image
- New i-Type Analogue Photo Camera
- Function with new i-Type film and 600 classic film
- Dimensions: 150 x 110 x 95 mm
- Weight: 440 g (without film)
- Operating temperature: 4 ° -42 ° C / 41-100 ° F, 5-90% relative humidity
- Compatible movies: Polaroid and Impossible i-Type and 600 colors in black and white, including special editions
- Battery: high-performance lithium ion battery, 1300 mAh, nominal voltage 3.7 V, 4.81 Wh
- Exterior finishes: polycarbonate + ABS plastic
- Lenses: optical quality polycarbonate and acrylic lenses, coated
- Shutter systems: custom design, using the precision stepper motor for the shutter
- Optical system:
- Target: fixed focal lengths / 0.6 m infinity
- Focal Length: 106mm
- Field of View: 41 degrees vertical, 40 degrees horizontal
- Flash System: Vacuum Discharge Tube Strobe
And it even comes in black.
Lead image by Ace Armstrong.