Sony just unveiled its next big body. The third-generation a7 III brings a much-needed update to the more reasonable-resolution a7 line. Here are all the specs and everything you need to know about this new 4K mirrorless beast.
That's right. The a7 III brings 4K to a body with a very well balanced pixel-count-to-sensor-size ratio. This should make it a great all-around camera for both stills and video shooting at either 24 MP or 4K at up to 30 frames per second, respectively. Of course, the a7 III keeps the incredible 5-axis in-body image stabilization from a7 II, but updated with the improved mechanisms present in the a7R III. Let's dive into the rest of the specs.
UPDATE: The a7 III is now available for pre-order for $1,998.
- 24 MP BSI full-frame sensor, 14-bit raw output
- New image processor promises 1.5-stop improvement
- 4K HDR video oversampled from 6K full pixel readout at up to 30 fps in S-Log2 and S-Log3
- 14-stops video dynamic range, 15-stops for stills
- 1080p at up to 120 fps at 100 mbps
- Z Battery allows 710 images on single battery charge
- 10 fps stills shooting with active AF/AE (silent or mechanical shutter)
- 5-stop, 5-axis in-body stabilization
- ISO 100-51200 (expandable to ISO 50-204,800 for still images)
- 693 phase-detection, 425 contrast-detection autofocus points with 93-percent coverage from a9
- AF works down to -3
- Eye AF
- No anti-aliasing/optical low-pass filter
- 177-JPEG image buffer
- Joystick control and touchscreen
- Dual SD card slots, one with UHS-II support
- USB-C port
- 1 lb. 4 oz.
- Pre-orders now available at $1,999
We will update this post with any additional information that we uncover in the coming hours.
UPDATE: Pre-order now for $1,998.