Newborn photography is one of the hottest genres of photography today. And with more and more babies being born everyday, the demand for talented newborn shooters has never been higher. Here are ten reasons from Stephanie Cotta on why you should be photographing newborns.
Top 10 Reasons to Photograph Newborns From Newborn Photographer Stephanie Cotta:
- You have just secured yourself a “lifer” client. Once you make a connection with a family and make the experience a positive one, you can pretty much guarantee that you will be seeing the family again for six and twelve month images, with subsequent yearly shoots for those holiday cards.
- The art of newborn photography is a science. Unlike other types of sessions, the newborn session can be done the same over and over….which is why Stephanie’s ultimate tutorial is so imperative to aspiring and seasoned photographers. She sets forth the exact directions to give to parents prior to the session and provides the photographer the exact steps to follow each time to ensure a successful session.
- Newborns don’t talk back. The goal of the newborn session is to be able to successfully pose a sleeping newborn. Once this is accomplished, the photographer can follow the steps and truly concentrate on just posing the baby, rather than chasing around an energetic toddler or utilizing every skill in the book to attempt to get a smile from a pouting five-year-old.
- There is NEVER an off-season in the world of a newborn photographer. Babies are born every day, all year round. You won’t find yourself having to run crazy discounts in January because it’s too cold to shoot outdoors and everyone just spent money on holiday sessions back in November.
- You don’t need thousands of dollars of expensive equipment. Other than a giant reflector and a posing bag, when starting this genre of photography, the only other props you need are a few blankets.
- New parents. New Baby. Tons of emotions. Rarely will any other type of photographs evoke such pure, raw joy (complete with tears!) than newborn photography. And not only will this leave you as the photographer feeling amazing, but those new parents will want to wrap their arms around you thanking you for capturing the new addition to their family…. And then want to purchase every single image in their gallery to remember how little they were those first few weeks.
- Their house. Your house. No studio needed. All you need is a small room and a window to make this magic happen. No need to invest money into renting studio space.
- People with babies generally have friends with babies. And then they have usually have more babies. So securing that one new family on your client list can easily lend itself to scoring their friends.
- The hours. As the instructions for getting a newborn sleepy don’t require any specific time of the day (and you don’t need any gorgeous sunset for this), you can truly schedule these shoots whenever is convenient for you.
- The new art. It’s currently the hottest genre of photography out there right now and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down any time in the near future. With the steady flow of newborns, the low cost of investment, and the science that Stephanie has turned the art of posing newborns in to with this tutorial, it’s the perfect storm for a successful start to your business.
The Ultimate Newborn Photography Tutorial Now On Sale and 25% OFF
We've recently made the most in-depth tutorial on natural light Newborn Photography that exists. There is nothing in the world like it. We spent over two weeks filming 6 newborn photo shoots, a two-day workshop, post production in Photoshop, an audio podcast focused on pricing and promotion, and also created an entire interactive posing guide that can be used on set for composition. Check out the trailers below. The tutorial is currently on-sale in the Fstoppers store and currently 25% off till next week.
About Stephanie Cotta
Stephanie Cotta is an award winning newborn and family photographer based out of the mid-west. Stephanie has proven to be one of the most successful and sought after photographers, innovators, and educators in the industry. She’s constantly teaching workshops nation-wide and runs a busy newborn photography studio in her home town of St. Louis.