How To Tether Your Camera To An Ipad Without Jailbreaking
Last year I released a video explaining how to wirelessly tether your camera to an iPad by jailbreaking the iPad. Since then Eye-Fi has released a firmware update that makes wireless tethering possible without the need for jailbreaking. Now, not only is the whole process much easier to set up, it is also much cheaper because you no longer have to pay for the more expensive Pro Eye-Fi card, you can make this work with the cheaper Connect X2 card.
Today Eye-Fi released an update to their iPad app which includes some pretty helpful updates.
- Landscape mode support in the gallery view
- “Add network” button to automatically add the Wi-Fi network to the iOS device even when the Direct Mode network is not broadcasting
- Directly transfer from iOS device to computer when they are on the same Wi-Fi network (requires the user to set the computer destination for the iOS device in Eye-Fi Center again to enable this feature)
- Email up to 5 photos through the native mail app
- Show icons for items pending transfer and actively transferring
- Icon in the tray to indicate when connected to a Direct Mode network
- Added Spanish and Italian languages
- Double tap to zoom into a photo (only on iPhone4 and iPads)
- Smoother transitions when swiping through photos
- Single tap to dismiss the navigation elements in single photo view
- Provide feedback when card is not paired to device on a Direct Mode network
- Stability improvements
- Turn off video transfers from the Eye-Fi Card to the iOS device if the video type is not supported by iOS
- Screenshots are now automatically uploaded
If you had a little extra money I would suggest buying the ShutterSnitch iPad app as it has many more professional features and the new version is extremely stable. I’ve also found that I still prefer the older jailbreaking method of tethering (which requires the more expensive card) for a number of reasons. If you have your device jailbroken anyway, the “old” way may still be the best way.
Eye-Fi X2 Wireless SD Card The Eye-Fi X2 card is the perfect companion for any SD capable camera (and some CF cameras can use this adapter). Almost every photoshoot we do now has the iPad tethered for close monitoring of our images. [Amazon | B&H Video]
Apple iPad 32 GB Almost every photographer these days is on the go, and the ipad is the perfect travel companion. The battery life is simply awesome for all your multimedia needs when traveling, and the ipad has become our favorite digital portfolio. Also the iPad allows a photographer to easily tether to a camera for on site review which is really cool. This is not a replacement for a true computer but it’s definitely a good accessory for any photographer. [Amazon | B&H Video ]