Peak Design Wants to Bring You the Ultimate Camera Clip: Capture
Peak Design, who launched a successful Kickstarter Project back in 2011, wants to improve on their original camera clip design by making it stronger and more versatile. Their solution? The Capture system. What they’re planning looks to be a beefed-up version of the popular Spider Holsters. It clips to belts, bags, backpack straps and the like and allows for easy and secure access to your camera with a tripod-like quick release system.
Ok so here is the rundown on the new, upgraded version of their original clip:
- There’s a Standard and Pro version now: Hobbyists and beginners have different needs than serious pros and adventurers, hence 2 versions of our clip. Read the “Capture vs. CapturePRO” section below to learn more.
- Beautiful new ergonomic shape: The new Capture looks sleek and stunning – but the new shape is more than just eye-candy. They’ve redesigned it to give you total comfort no matter where on your body you wear it. They also redesigned the clamping bolts to make them easier to screw down, even if you’re wearing gloves.
- Lighter and slimmer: We’ve trimmed the fat, making our (already compact) product lighter, slimmer and more unobtrusive.
- Better security features: We created 2 new secondary locking systems to give you more security options. A safety lock has been added to the quick-release button, giving you a quick and easy way to prevent accidental release. For maximum security, the all-new twist lock tightly clamps your camera in. The new twist lock also stabilizes your camera if you’re using Capture as a tripod clamp.
- Works as a tripod clamp (PRO): CapturePRO has a ¼” tripod mounting hole in it’s back plate. This means you can put it atop your tripod or monopod and have a fully functioning quick-release clamp for your camera.
- Works with more tripod heads (PRO): CapturePRO comes with one of our three PROplates. These plates offer compatibility with more tripod heads (ARCA and Manfrotto RC2) and camera types (SLR and Compact Mirrorless).
- Works with sling straps (PRO): Capture, equipped with the standard plate, is designed to work with Leash and Cuff using our micro-anchor attachment system (see FAQ). CapturePRO, equipped with one of our PROplates, works with Peak Design straps as well as classic sling-style straps made by companies like BlackRapid®. PROplates feature a special load-bearing D-ring that lets you attach your sling strap directly to your camera when you’re not using Capture.
So here is what they are looking to build:
Capture: The standard entry-level version of Capture has a glass-reinforced nylon backplate and comes with standard quick release plate.
CapturePRO: The flagship professional version of Capture features an all-aluminum body and comes with one of 3 PROplates. It can be used as a tripod head and is compatible with multiple tripod systems, as well as sling straps and hand straps.
PROpad: This accessory (for all versions of Capture including v1) provides additional support and padding for folks who want to use Capture with heavy camera/lens/battery grip combinations, or those who are just looking for maximum comfort.
GoPro Mount: This accessory lets you use Capture as a mount for your GoPro®. This lets you take POV video from any backpack strap, belt or strap-like object.
The project is already backed over three times what they originally asked for, so the project is already very well funded. You can still back it and get the “early bird” pricing options they are offering over at their Kickstarter page.