Lightroom released their lastest update today (5.2) which added some new features, addressed some bugs introduced in previous versions and added additional camera raw support as well as more lens profiles. Here's a break down of what has been added and fixed.
New Features in Lightroom 5.2
- A Smoothness adjustment slider has been added to the Detail Panel under Color Noise Reduction. This helps to reduce low-frequency color mottling artifacts
- Refinements to the Spot Healing Tool: New Feather control - Auto find source method now works better for images with textured areas like rocks, bark, and foliage - Auto find source method now prefers source areas within the crop rectangle
- Auto Exposure has been improved to be more consistent across images and across different image sizes.
- Smart Preview size has been updated to 2560 pixels on the long edge.
- Refinements to the Local Adjustment Brush: - Right Click (PC) / Control-click (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to bring up a context menu to duplicate or delete - Control+Alt+Drag (PC) / Command+Option+Drag (Mac) on a brush adjustment pin to clone (duplicate) that adjustment
Bugs Corrected in Lightroom 5.2
- Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
- Slideshow Exporting process fails for time-lapse sequences.
- Unable to export a Book. This only occurred after a customer deleted a background photo.
- Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
- JPEG decoding produced a red colorcast.
- Unable to scroll through photos when in Full screen mode. This only occurs when more than 1 photo is selected.
- “Store presets with this catalog” preference is not preserved when upgrading catalog from previous versions of Lightroom.
- Crash when scrubbing Size slider with existing spot selected.
- Landscape crop not maintained on portrait oriented photos
- Pressing the Reset button while holding the Shift key results in an internal error.
- Crash when attempting to move brush spots.
- Gray area is shown when zooming in/out after cropping image.
- A row of vertical artifacts appears along bottom edge of photo when applying Grain.
- Defringe Color Sampler is inaccurate on photos that have Upright applied.
- All of the images on a Compact Flash card did not appear in the Import Dialogue.
- Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo. Please note that this only occurred when metadata was changed after the photo was published.
- Soundtrack does not fade at the end of a slideshow.
- The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
- Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
A few of the other notable updates. Lightroom 5.2 will allow tethering with the Canon 6D now in addition to other cameras. The program also added a number of new cameras which it now supports. Lastly it includes a number of new lenses which it will support in the lens profiles including some Hasselblad lenses and GoPro Hero 3 lens. More information can be found on the Lightroom 5.2 release notes found here.
Next time you open Lightroom 5 on your computer you should see a pop up box with information to download the new update.