In Washington, a woman has been taken to hospital after being bitten and injected with venom by an octopus she picked up and placed on her face in what was an attempt to win a local photo contest.
The incident occurred on August 2nd, according to KIRO 7 news. The woman in question, Jamie Bisceglia, was racking her brain for ideas ahead of a local photo competition, when she encountered a group of fishermen at the Tacoma Narrows fishing derby who happened to have hooked an octopus. In deciding to get a photo with it, Bisceglia, naturally, placed the octopus upon her face. It was here it latched onto her, before biting her cheek twice and injecting its venom. She says it left her in incredible pain.
So, crazy me, hindsight now and looking back, I probably made a big mistake.
As a result, her face swelled up. She tried to ride the pain out for two days, before finally making a visit to her local ER. It was here she was given three different antibiotics. Speaking to KIRO 7, she said she was still in pain. And it gets worse: doctors told her the swelling can “come and go… for months.”
No word on whether or not she won that contest.