Canon's EF 85mm f/1.2L II lens is one of the most popular portrait lenses of all time, and it was surely a given that it would be coming for the RF mirrorless line. Today, Canon has announced the RF version, which features an entirely new optical design that should give it increased performance over its predecessor.
The new RF 85mm f/1.2L USM seems to be quite the lens. The lens is the first in Canon's RF line to feature its Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics, which help to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing, a feature that was quite effective in our review of the EF 35mm f/1.4L II. In addition to that, it has the following features:
- One ultra-low dispersion element and one aspherical element for control of aberrations and distortion
- Air Sphere coating to control flare and ghosting and increase contrast
- Ring-type Ultrasonic Motor with full-time manual override
- RF control ring
- Rounded 9-blade diaphragm
- Minimum focus distance: 2.8 feet (85 cm)
- Maximum magnification: 0.12x
- Front thread: 82mm
- Weight: 2.6 lbs (1,195 g)
For Canon mirrorless shooters looking for a top-notch portrait lens, this seems to be it. You can preorder the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM lens for $2,699 here.