Zeiss, makers of some of the most outstanding glass on the market, announced a new member of their Canon and Nikon connected lenses: the 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* Lens. It is a standard focal length premium lens optimized for full-format DSLR camera sensors. If it's anything like the 135mm f/2.0 APO SONNAR, there is a lot to be excited about.
The 55mm Otis features a wide maximum aperture combined with Zeiss' renowned optical glass and T* lens coating allow the 55mm f/1.4 to transmit an impressive degree of detail and color rendition even in low light situations. A floating element design equips the lens for consistent image quality, minimal aberration and field distortion throughout the focus range.
Complementing the premium optics of the 55mm f/1.4 Otus lens is a metal lens housing as evidence of a build quality that matches the lens's imaging prowess. Additionally, an all-metal focusing mechanism with an extended rotation angle allows precise manual focusing from 20" to infinity. Borrowing from their cinema lenses, Zeiss labels the focus scale with highly-visible yellow markings. The rubberized focus ring improves tactile feedback and helps to enable exact focus placement.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture for shallow depth of field and low-light performance
- Engineered for optimal image quality using a DSLR with a full-frame sensor
- Zeiss T* anti-reflective coated lens system enhances image contrast and clarity
- Floating element design with 12 elements in 10 groups
- All-metal focus mechanism with extended angle of rotation for precise focus placement
- Cinema lens style yellow scale markings on lens barrel enhance visibility
It's available for pre-order now for $3,990 (the no-corners-cut cost, of course).
For more, head over to the Zeiss blog.