I wrote about how this image was composed over on the studio Instagram:
So we cut the guts out of this little $5 lantern, and put an AD200 Into it, gelled with a full cto. And the scene was lit with a pair of Home Depot work lights, I did come color temperature adjustment to them in post. And I had a very large soft box, gelled CTB acting as his key light. We tried to fill the environment with fog, but it’s extremely difficult to do that, so you can see that we settled for some chilled haze coming out of the hole he’s digging. The subject was shined up with some olive oil, of course.
The location was selected and staged a few days prior, because actually digging a hole in the ground is no no joke.