In a new firmware update, Metabones is enhancing the functionality of their EF to E Smart Adapters and Speed Boosters when used on the Sony a7 III.
After updating the Metabones adapter’s firmware, continuous shooting of up to 10 fps will now be possible in AF-C mode on the Sony a7 III. This new possibility is not without some caveats, however. Metabones said that the 10 fps is the “theoretical maximum” and factors such as camera settings, lens choice, and the subject’s movement could decrease the frame rate. Recommendations laid out by Metabones include setting the adapter to Advanced mode, selecting “AF” as the AF-C priority in the camera menu, and using the center autofocus point.
The firmware update can be applied via USB port to the EF-E Speed Booster ULTRA I/II, EF-E CINE Speed Booster ULTRA, EF-E Smart Adapter IV/V, and EF-E CINE Smart Adapter. Older adapters that do not have a USB port built in will be supported, but they need to be serviced by the factory to upgrade and will only work in APS-C mode.
Below are all the improvements listed in this firmware update.
- Increased AF speed on a camera with PDAF support when adapter is in Advanced Mode. With some camera bodies, for example a7 III, AF-C will now focus in-between frames when camera is set to continuous drive (MID, HI, HI++) and the aperture is f/11 or faster. (f/8 for a7 II and a7R II) Some vintage lenses, such as the original Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM (not Art), does not focus accurately in Advanced mode, but they will continue to work in Green mode. PDAF works only within a small central area. Outside, CDAF is used. It is not possible to support all PDAF points because metadata about the optical formula of the lens would be required, which we don't have.
- Improved exposure accuracy and AF accuracy in Advanced Mode.
- For CINE Smart Adapter (MB-EF-E-BT6) only, add support for the MZ/PZ switch of Canon PZ-E1 Power Zoom Adapter (with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 "Nano" USM).
- Fixed compatibility issue with lens firmware version 2 of Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 VC HLD B023E.
- Fixed AF issue with Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG APO OS HSM with 1.4x teleconverter when zoomed away from 50mm.
- Fixed compatibility issue with certain lenses and NEX-5N and one of the following: CINE Smart Adapter, CINE Speed Booster, Speed Booster ULTRA II, or Smart Adapter V.
- Fixed IBIS issue during continuous shooting.