Can the OM System OM-1 Mirrorless Camera Compete With Full Frame Flagships?

The OM System OM-1 sets a new standard for micro four thirds cameras by offering features and capabilities that help it compete or even exceed those of APS-C and full frame options. This excellent video review takes a look at the camera and the kind of performance and image quality you can expect from it in real-world usage. 

Coming to you from Jacek Sopotnicki, this helpful video review takes a look at the new OM System OM-1 mirrorless camera. While the current standard for continuous burst rates among full frame cameras is 30 fps (save for the Nikon Z 9's 120 fps when shooting 11-megapixel images), the OM-1 blows past that, offering 50 fps bursts with continuous autofocus or 120 fps using locked autofocus, making it a serious competitor for things like sports or wildlife photography. And beyond that, you get the company's usual array of unique and advanced computational photography features that have endeared the company's cameras to many users, all packed into a highly portable body that pairs with equally light and portable lenses nicely. Check out the video above for Sopotnicki's full thoughts on the camera, and if you would like to read more, take a look at our in-depth review.

Log in or register to post comments
4 Comments
Milan Svítek's picture

The gap between M4/3 and FF is narrowing not only with the improvements in camera tech, but also with the improvements in modern software processing.
It's amazing what we can do today in software with just a few clicks - and I don't mean replacing skies, I mean things like Topaz's DeNoise and Sharpen AI software, new features in Lightroom, DxO RAW, etc.

Hell, a good denoiser basically allows you to shoot 4-6 stops higher with no fear 🤷🏻‍♂️

Even simply reprocessing old RAW files TODAY gives incredible results!

Adam Favre's picture

While I understand everyone is in their own echo chamber, end results for almost all cameras at this point please 95% of the people that consume images. Knowing how to use your kit and how to edit brings everyone to almost even playing field. Are there exceptions... currently Yes. You can crop in more with a full frame camera or a large format. It may make a difference in fine art???? I know it is possibly a more FOREGIVING file to edit.

All of that said, when it comes to the end published result, I mention again that 95% of the "consumers" can't tell the difference. The other 5%- those are photographers and the only good image is the one THEY make with THEIR camera - and even then, most of them don't like their own images either! ;-)