If you struggle with self-confidence before or during a shoot, you know it can have a very real effect on how you perform and the images you take. Try these positive affirmations specifically for photographers and videographers to help you get control of your thoughts.
If you've never tried them before, affirmations are simply positive, realistic statements you repeat to yourself to help take control of your thoughts. They're really helpful if you experience self doubt or anxiety, particularly before shoots. Pick some of these below or write your own. A good affirmation is short, uses powerful language, and often directly addresses some characteristic of self-judgment. Once you have your set, repeat them a couple times throughout the day and particularly before a shoot. The more consistently and often you repeat them, the better your mindset will become, and you'll notice yourself better able to connect with clients and make good creative decisions. Here are ten to get you started:
- My creativity enables people to see themselves in a different light.
- I create cherished memories of some of the most important moments in a person's life.
- I have the ability to show the ordinary in an extraordinary way.
- I was hired because my client admires my work.
- I have the power to turn my imagination into reality.
- My photos/videos pick up where words stop.
- My passion is contagious, and it shows through my work.
- The beauty of life passes through my lens, and I preserve it forever.
- My work makes a difference in people's lives.
- This shoot will lead to more and bigger opportunities.
They seem corny at first if you've never done them, but try them out for a week (especially before a shoot), and see if they have a calming effect and boost your self-confidence a bit. If they don't work for you, I'll literally eat my own shoe.
(Note: I will not eat my shoe. But definitely try them.)