Black Magic Design has just announced a crazy new cinema camera that records to 2.5K RAW for under $3000. That's incredibly cheap for a camera that has features that most high end DSLR's are currently lacking.
Here are some of the specs:
- Shooting resolution: RAW at 2.5k (2432 x 1366)
- Frame rates: 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 30p
- Sensor size: 16.64 mm x 14.04 mm (significantly smaller than DLSR sensors)
- Lens mount: EF and ZF mount compatible with electronic iris control
- Battery: Integrated Li-Ion with 90 minute life
- Recording Formats: RAW 2.5K CinemaDNG, Apple ProRes (compressed), Avid DNxHD (compressed). All compressed recording in 1920x1080 10-bit YUV with choice of Film or Video Dynamic Range.
- Storage: Removable 2.5" SSD
So while it lacks the large sensor of full frame DSLR's, which will affect the DOF in the final image, and has what seems to be a very short battery life, it's got RAW output, and higher resolution that will blow most DSLR's out of the water.