The past several years we’ve seen an amazing amount of new and portable lighting options in the photographic industry with breakout performers like Godox taking on the giants of the lighting world like Broncolor and Profoto. One of the biggest names in North America for lighting has been ominously silent but Paul C. Buff has finally responded and just released a new mid-tier performer that is sure to make many of Buff’s lighting fans excited for what’s coming next.
The new LINK 800 W/S flash unit is the newest kid on the block under the Paul C. Buff brand of lighting gear that crosses the divide between being an in-studio strobe and a portable flash that will help you light your subject in the harshest afternoon sun.
- 9 f-stop power variability (3.1 Ws to 800 Ws)
- Adjustable in precise 1/10 f-stops
- All-digital control from LCD display
- Global plug-and-play from 100 to 240 VAC
- Available Modes: ACTION, COLOR, HSS (up to 1/8000 sec.), TTL
- Action stopping flash durations as short as 1/15400 sec. (t.1)
- Color consistency +/- 100K at any power
- Bright, adjustable 800W Equivalent Daylight-Balanced LED Modeling Lamp
- Rubber diffusion dome cover
- Connect with the new Buff app and take control of the light from your phone
The base price will be $895.95 with a kit option that includes a battery (for up to 250 full power flashes), charger, and a Canon or Nikon hub remote for $1195.95.
Paul C. Buff, Inc. has been producing lighting that has stood the test of time with some photographers still using their lighting up to four decades after they were purchased. It’s no wonder photographers still advocate so vocally for the brand and this additional competition in the lighting space will only be a boon for those using flash in their everyday work.
Are you interested in picking up the LINK 800 WS strobe? If you've veered away from Paul C. Buff with the new innovations coming from the likes of Godox, Profoto, or Broncolor does this new strobe give you the push to venture back to the Paul C. Buff system of lighting?