Fujifilm X-Series owners will be happy to hear that today, the corporation has announced a new prime lens and teleconverter for their highly-regarded system. By adding another 35mm (53mm full-frame equivalent) prime and 1.4x teleconverter, Fujifilm continues to enrich their ever-burgeoning lineup. As an added bonus, those who are attending the Photoplus Expo in New York can play with the new equipment for a day at no extra charge.
Fujifilm's prime lenses are highly regarded for their performance, rich contrast and colors, and beautiful drawing characteristics. The new XF 35mm f/2 R WR lens looks to be Fujifilm's attempt at a compact prime that doesn't compromise those qualities. Featuring nine elements in six groups (with two aspherical elements), eight seals to provide water and dust resistance, a working temperature as low as 14°F, a Nano-GI coating to reduce ghosting and flare, and a nine-blade aperture that should produce smooth bokeh, this looks to be the company's no-nonsense workhorse prime. Check out the full specifications from the press release below:
- Weather-resistant design with 8 sealing points for weather- and dust-resistance and operation as low as 14°F
- Internal focusing system with 0.08 seconds autofocus speed and nearly silent operation
- 9 elements in 6 groups, including 2 ED glass lens elements to reduce lateral and axial chromatic aberration
- Nano-GI coating reduces ghosting and flare
- 9 blade aperture creates smooth and circular bokeh
- 1/3 EV steps
- Minimum working distance of approximately 13 inches
The XF 35mm f/2 R WR will be available in November with an MSRP of $399.95. Preorder now.
Fujifilm has also announced the Fujinon XF 1.4x TC WR, a teleconverter currently compatible with the XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR lens, turning it into a 70-200mm (105-300mm full-frame equivalent) f/4 lens. The teleconverter is weather-resistant, features seven elements in three groups and will be compatible with certain future lenses, like the upcoming XF 100-400mm lens. Check out the full specifications from the press release below:
- Multiplies focal length of FUJINON XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR by 1.4x
- Weather-resistant design for weather- and dust-resistance and operation as low as 14°F
- 7 elements in 3 groups
- AF speed equivalent to XF lens by itself is still achieved with the teleconverter
- Camera displays and records information reflecting the change in aperture and focal length when the teleconverter is mounted
The XF 1.4x TC WR will be available in November with an MSRP of $449.95. Preorder now.
Fujifilm will be releasing a firmware update for all X-Series cameras on the 29th of this month to make them fully compatible with the new lens and teleconverter.
Those attending PhotoPlus should stop by Booth 836, where they can take advantage of a free copy of the new lens and teleconverter to use for a day, check out the new Instax Mini 70, and see demonstrations of the Frontier-S DX100 printer. Fujifilm will also be offering free sensor cleaning and firmware updates throughout the expo.