Whenever updating software, it is wise to be careful and make sure everything works as expected. Updating Photoshop had recently caused me a pretty serious issue that reminds us of how much our workflow can be affected by something as simple as a software update.
I had updated to Photoshop CC 2019 and right away I noticed that my Wacom settings didn't work, because I had an application specific preference set within the Wacom tablet properties which was set for Photoshop CC 2018. Primarily the lower button on the stylus was set to keyboard "alt" plus mouse "right click" so that I could easily change brush size and hardness without having to resort to the bracket keys which is much slower. I assumed this would be no big deal and just created a profile for CC 2019, but to my surprise it did not work.
I remembered that there was a problem before with Windows Ink and Wacom which required a preferences filed to be created in the form of a text file, and I had done that with the prior version so I created a new one for Photoshop CC 2019.
The text file should be named PSUserConfig.txt and it goes in:
C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
The content should be the following:
This is the reported correct fix for this issue in prior versions, as well as disabling Windows Ink in the Wacom properties panel as shown here, however this still did not work.
After going through the regular channels of trying to fix this situation like this, the obvious thing is to make sure you have the latest updated version of Photoshop as well as the latest updated version of the Wacom drivers, which I had done and still to no avail.
Even with the updated versions, it refused to work and treated the modified button as a regular brush stroke, as I tried retouching and using the bracket keys for brush size I realized how heavily I relied on that shortcut and something that simple can severely hinder your workflow.
For me it was unbearable, even though it was just one shortcut, because once muscle memory is set to do something a certain way for so long and so many repetitions, a change like that is devastating to an efficient workflow.
So I reached out to the support forums and created a post with screenshots showing the versions and detailing the issues and after a few days of no answers, except some other people with the same problem.
I decided to keep trying myself and finally found something that I did not actually know existed which was the Wacom tablet preference file utility which allows you to remove all profiles and start fresh.
I removed all preferences with the tool, and the problem has been fixed, while still using the user config text file as mentioned above.
I lost some precious retouching time dealing with this issue, but I am always glad something like this happens because it gives me the opportunity to learn something and file it away so that next time I won't lose any work time.
Hopefully this can save someone else the time of dealing with the same issue.