Every couple of years Red Bull hosts one of the coolest photo competitions in the world called the Red Bull Illume. If you aren't familiar with this photo contest, the Illume showcases some of the most unbelievable sports photographs in the world. Many of the photos are landscape in a nature which give them an almost fine art feel but there are plenty of edgy closeup shots to grab your attention as well. The deadline to contribute to this year's Image Quest has been extended by 12 hours to April 1st 12:00 (CET) which I believe to be 6:00 PM Eastern if my brain is working correctly.
One of the cool things about this action and adventure sports photography contest is they separate the entries into tons of categories ranging from wings, experimental, new creativity, lifestyle, and sequence to name a few (examples here). Another aspect that makes Illume so unique is they typically print and install the top 50 images on large backlit displays that revolve around the world. I've been lucky enough to see the 2010 exhibition in Charleston, SC and also the 2013 show in Cologne, Germany. Redbull should be announcing the 2016 tour soon so bookmark the Exhibition page now for future updates.
Below are the entry rules if you think you might want to submit something here in the next few hours:
- The contest is 'open submission'.
- There is no entry fee.
- Any professional or amateur photographers may submit.
- Photographers from all over the world may submit photographs.
- To register and enter this contest you have to agree to these Rules and Regulations.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
- If the subject of a photograph is a minor (under the age of 18), the photographer must provide a written release form unrequested, signed by the parent or legal guardian of the minor.
- Only the photographer can submit his or her images. Images may not be submitted from a third party on behalf of a photographer.
- Photographers can only submit their images to one account.
- Entries may only be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry.
- All images must be submitted through the official contest website.
- An official digital submission entry form must be completed with each individual photograph submitted.
- Submitted photos may have been previously published or submitted to another contest.
- Upon request, photographers must include a model and location release for all photographs submitted. Failure to provide such release upon request may result in disqualification.
- Photos that have been digitally or otherwise modified to change the original impression are only eligible for submission in the 'Enhance' category.
- If any doubts occur regarding the authenticity of the digital image, the original file (RAW or original file in case of mobile) will be requested by the Red Bull Illume judges for analysis for all categories.
- Inappropriate submissions will disqualify the photographer from the contest.
- All decisions by the Red Bull Illume judges are final.
Final entries can be submitted on the Red Bull Illume Contest Page. Good luck to everyone who enters!