Paul C. Buff recently released a brand new Vagabond battery pack, the Vagabond Lithium Extreme. With a price tag of $399.95 this might be the next product you end up buying tonight. There are a few great improvements from their older Vagabond models, and overall, it is exciting to see a new product release from Paul C. Buff.
The first thing I noticed when looking at this new product was that they FINALLY updated the clamp that connects to the light stand. I can't even begin to explain the amount of embarrassing stories I have trying to carry around the older battery packs connected to my stands by throwing them awkwardly over my shoulder or just watching them fall off and hit the ground. Thank you Paul C. Buff for finally changing this! Even though I think the price tag is a bit much on the battery pack, being able to have a (hopefully) more reliable battery pack holder on it would make my life a lot easier. When doing outdoors shoots, the last thing I want to worry about is whether of not my battery will fall and die any second.
The new VLX (Vagabond Lithium Extreme) is the fourth-generation battery for the Vagabond portable power line. The pack will offer a pure sine wave power source for use with AC powered studio flash units for those times when you don't have access to AC power. I use my older Vagabond Mini for every outdoor shoot when my studio flash, the Alienbee B800, gets used. I have loved my Vagabond, minus the clip, and if this product is truly a large improvement, I might just be adding it to my gear pack soon. Though, I may want to paint it a different color.
"A most important part of the design is the quick-change 26.4V 6.4Ah 170Wh LiFePO4 (Iron Phosphate) battery system. This is the latest, and far and away the safest and most durable Lithium made today. All other systems mentioned use either Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) or LiCoxNiMnzO2 (NMC) Lithium batteries. Depending on battery sizing and recycle speed, these battery types offer typical storage life of about two years and as few as 100 battery recharge cycles before depletion."
- current-controlled true sine wave portable power source
- operates flashes from internal lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery
- reliable power for multiple flashes (up to 3200 Ws)
- offers increased capacity, longer battery life, and faster recycle
- 120 VAC for use with all standard Paul C. Buff™ flashes
- complete system arrives with inverter and battery connected
- 3-hour rapid charger (supplied) quickly recharges battery
- compact and lightweight design (6 pounds total weight)
- can be connected to a light stand with built-in stand clamp
- NOT intended to power modeling lamps
- 60-Day Absolute Satisfaction Guarantee
- 1-Year Factory Warranty
You can view more info on this product by visiting the official Paul C. Buff Product Listing Page