The creator of LRTimelapse recently announced the release of the Pro Timer 2.5, the most advanced intervalometer available on the market. Here are the main features and specifications of this next level time-lapse tool.
Serious time-lapse photographers probably know Gunther Wegner, the creator of the LRTimelapse software that allows to post-process and remove flickering in day to night and night to day sequence (also called the holy grail). This time, the German engineer addressed another long time issue in the time-lapse community: the lack of proper intervalometer specifically designed for the most demanding conditions. This statement may sound strange since internet is flooded with cheap options for intervalometer and shutter release. Unfortunately, most of these devices are not really designed for time-lapse work and suffer from numerous issues such as:
- Poor battery life;
- Bad user interface;
- Reliability issue;
- Lack of sub-second interval setting;
- But most importantly, unnecessary signal delay sent to the camera.
This last point is critical because basic intervalometers tend to send a two signals to the camera. First, an auto-focus signal, then the proper triggering signal. But the first AF signal is not useful for time-lapse capture. Why is this so important? Because in certain conditions, each second is critical when shooting a time-lapse and wasting precious time with an unnecessary step delays the entire operation.
This wasted AF signal time could be used instead to preview the image exposure, adjust the settings between two shots, or program a shorter interval. Therefore, by shortening the AF signal to the minimum, the photographer can focus on other aspects. This is precisely what the LRTimelapse Pro Timer 2.5 does. However, the AF signal is not entirely removed from the triggering sequence because some cameras, especially the mirrorless ones, need to receive an AF signal before taking a picture. Sending the trigger signal alone would not work on these cameras. But GuntherWegner reduced this signal to the bare minimum in order to save time.
Here are some of the key features of the LRTimelapse ProTimer 2.5:
- Very fast shutter release with no unnecessary delays due to autofocus signals.
- Intervals can be defined in 0.1 second steps instead of one second minimum on most intervalometers (external an internal)
- Easy user interface on a OLED display, can be operated with gloves. Display can be turned off and the entire device can be light free (no light contamination).
- Settings can be stored (preset).
- Camera can be operated in Bulb-Mode for longer exposure times than 30 seconds. That's useful for astrophotogaphy.
- Recording of unlimited images or a predefined amount of images is both possible.
- Dual trigger port to connect two cameras at the same time.
- Dual hot shoe mounts, which allow you to attach it at two different angles.
- Broad compatibility with any camera where a standardized analog release cable is available for (2.5mm TRS port). Full support for mirrorless cameras via a special wake-up feature which prevents losing shots when the camera goes to sleep mode.
- Countdown indicator on the screen to show when the next pictures will be taken. Very useful for hyper-lapse shooters.
- Long battery life thanks to the built in Li-Ion Battery which is recharged via Micro-USB. The LRTimelapse Pro Timer can be powered via an external USB powerbank.