I teamed up with Luquire George Andrews, an ad agency in Charlotte, NC, to create four images for a corporate brochure for Lincoln Harris, a commercial real estate company with properties in 26 states. LGA wanted to feature b/w photographs of executives in Lincoln Harris' properties.
We started by scouting locations in Charlotte to determine which would work best. We also had to decide what time of day to schedule each location. Next, we reviewed models from several agencies. They would portray our executives in each set up. Finally, we had to schedule our shoot days around the availability of the locations and models.
The first shot was on a balcony with the city's skyline as the background. We were mostly in the shade of the building, but I knew the sun would move up and around the building before we completed the shot. So my assistants set up a Matthews 12x12 overhead frame with an artificial silk to soften the direct sun. We placed two large Chimera banks with Profoto heads to camera left and one medium bank over the camera for fill. The image was shot with a Sinar X 4x5 camera with Kodak Tmax 400 film.
The second image was created in a large conference room. We positioned our model near the large bank of windows. A Profoto head with a reflector snooted with black wrap was positioned in a corner and very close to the window to mimic sunlight coming from outside. Next we bounced another Profoto head with magnum reflector into the ceiling for fill. On camera left, and far back in the conference room, we placed a medium Chimera with Profoto head for additional fill. The image was shot with a Horseman 8x10 camera with Kodak Tmax 400 film.
The third shot was in a corporate classroom. The key light was a Profoto 20.5" white beauty dish on camera right. A large Chimera bank from camera left (and far back) provided overall fill. A medium Chimera on the left side of the room provided fill to the background wall. One small bank powered down very low was directed at the foreground subject just to record a bit of detail. The camera was a Horseman 8x10. The film was Tmax 400.
Finally, the fourth image was in a smaller boardroom with plenty of light coming from the windows on three sides of the room. A medium Chimera on camera left provided the main light. Another head, bounced into the ceiling, was used for fill. Again, I used a Horseman 8x10 with Tmax 400 film.
Here are a few behind the scenes photos: